Friday, September 7, 2007

A Word to the Wise...

As I try to type in my slightly hazy state of mind let me give some tips to all the students reading this.
If you are a high school student do not try to rush ahead and grow up to fast. Mature, but do not long to be an adult. For those considering PSEO ease into it and be realistic about how many credits you can handle. The majority of college classes are much more challenging than the equivalent in high school requiring more homework time and responsibility.
For anyone entering college and holding down a job at the same time make sure you have an understanding boss that will let you change your schedule at the last moment. To prevent from having to do this, set your school schedule up as soon as you can and try not to switch classes during the first week. Try to take some time off the week before school starts to enjoy rest and relaxation before the fury of school kicks off. Make sure you have access to all college sites (registration site, email, class sites, etc) at least a week before school starts. Buy your books early. Before the first day of your class see if you have access to the syllabus online. If you do read through it and get a head start on homework. Your teacher will be impressed if you have the first few chapters read and you know what you're talking about during the first class. Show up early to your class and choose a seat in the first two rows. You will have a better line of vision, pay attention better, and have easier interaction with the professor. The night before your first day, set out your outfit, shoes, accessories, and fully packed backpack to grab on the way out the door. Plan to wear a comfortable outfit with sturdy shoe whenever you will be traveling around your campus. If you plan ahead and are prepared you just might not have to pull an all-nighter to get ready for your second day of class.
I'll let you know any other ways you can learn from my mistakes as I get farther into the semester. One last thing, during classes is a popular time for the lawn to be watered. Watch where you sit and know all the ways around campus or just add a bottle of shampoo to your 50 pound backpack.

1 comment:

Laura Michelle said...

:) You're cute! That was a little to late for me but I enjoyed reading it. Keep writing! I'm so glad to see you have. I'm trying to pick up the pace a bit myself. Time will tell though as to my success or lack there of! :) Drop me a line sometime! Miss ya!